A clean house is a happy house. We’ve compiled our top ten tips on how to declutter your home. It might feel overwhelming at first, but the feeling after is unrivaled.
- Get started! This might seem like a no-brainer but it may also be the hardest part. Pick a day and devote it to the task. There’s no better day to start than today!
- Declutter one room at the time. Empty drawers, cabinets, closets, and lay everything out to see what you have and to determine what can go. By doing one room at the time, your entire house will not be a complete mess and you won’t feel overpowered by the effort.
- Make three piles: keep, trash/recycle, and donate/sell. Once you’re done with your decluttering, disposal will be a breeze when you know what goes where.
- Stay focused. Make sure you finish each room before moving on to the next.
- Be ruthless. If you’re keeping things thinking “I might need this one day”, ask yourself if that is really true. If something hasn’t been used in a long time, will you really need it in the future? Items of sentimental value can (and should) be kept, but doubles, “good-to-have”, and broken items will probably just stay on a shelf, unused.
- Take breaks. Set a timer, take frequent breaks, go for a walk in between. If you have set a goal to finish today, make sure you don’t lose motivation by allowing yourself some time off, even if it’s just for a coffee break.
- Get help. Decluttering and parting from your stuff is not always an easy task. Contact us to organize your home. Our experts are more than willing to take on your clutter.
- Put things in place. Everything you decide to keep should have its designated spot.
- Be proud! Look at what you’ve accomplished! Doesn’t it feel great?
- Move on to the next room. Allow some time before you start the next room to make sure you’re energized and up for the task. And before you do – make sure you dispose, recycle, and donate properly. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.